World's FairIn case you didn't make it down to the green commons for the World's Fair - here are some photos:
Reading, Reading, Reading!
Was it a success? Well, it depends on how you look at it. The challenge (see original blogpost) was to see who would read the most books - Students or Staff. I figured that if each person read an average of 2.5 books, the student total would be 4250 and staff total would be 550.
Well - Staff beat Students by a mile, but neither group (as a whole) came anywhere near the average.
Numbers as of today:Students: 551 (average of about .33 of a book per student)
Staff: 245 (average of about 1.3 books per staff member)
What does this mean?
Does it mean our students aren't reading? NO!
- Maybe contests don't motivate students to read. Maybe having a great collection of books does!
- Maybe students did read loads of books (which is likely) and didn't want to bother to fill out the form.
- Maybe students forgot about the contest and I didn't publicize it enough.
At any rate, the good news is that we had kids who regularly came in and filled out forms and we had lots of staff entries.
And our circulation statistics are strong - fiction circulation is way up from last year!
- 1654 total Non-fiction SY17-18 checkouts- includes all non-fiction, reference, biographies, graphic novels and short stories
- 2515 total Fiction SY17-18 checkouts - (last year's total fiction? 2044!)
Well, we won't repeat this challenge next year, but we'll think of something.
Hit me with ideas if you have them!!
What Are You Reading This Summer? Do You Have Recommendations?I'm currently reading "Where Did You Go Bernadette, A Novel" by Maria Semple and I'm very much enjoying it!
First on my summer list is "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and it Sounds hilarious!
What do you recommend? CLICK HERE to fill out the spreadsheet if you want to share recommendations and reviews for summer reading!
DON'T Forget - Please send me an email or fill out this form to request book or video titles for the upcoming school year.